This is where family can discuss Mom's status and plans for her move to Horizon Bay.
Calendar
Saturday, April 9, 2011
Estate Sale Planning
Mom wants to have a garage sale to get rid of some of her stuff like clothes and knick-knacks. I would like to know everyone's opinion on whether we should have this garage sale "before" we move her into Horizon Bay, or hold it afterwards and do it along with the estate sale. And as far as the estate sale, should we bring Mom back to her house to help with it? I'm torn because if we don't she will feel left "out of the loop" and probably be mad but if she is there trying to help in the midst of all that confusion she will be extremely stressed and confused by all the information to process. Each of you please let me know what you think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Dave,
My opinion is that we only conduct one sale and take care of selling everything within days of getting her moved in. I think we can get her moved in half a day, then come back here and organize the estate/garage sale without having her here. I think she will have a lot to think about and deal with being in her new digs, and probably shouldn't feel left out. (Hopefully).... Jerry
Not sure I agree with this. I believe she wants to have a yard sale primarily to obtain some cash. Estate sales tend to be for larger items (I guess) and she seems to want to sell her clothes and excess kitchen stuff. I also think she feels the need to contribute more (other than her car).
OK, I think your mom needs to be a part of this and should be done before she moves. I believe she feels like she needs to do something now to get ready for the move, It makes the idea more real for her. Not to mention, you will be able to get the house ready faster to rent after she is moved. I like your idea about us getting together for her birthday. The whole time we were there she kept mentioning she wished all you kids were there together. I am pretty sure we are too big to park in front so will may have to find a rv park close by. Unless someone wants to measure the front and make sure there is 38ft between the driveways(:. Also in re to car, again I think if you sold the car from the house your mom would be more conducive to the idea. The car is the last symbol of her independence but if she has part in selling it it might be easier on her. You could advertise it and let Judy field the calls and get the number and call you,Richard or David and let you guys do the talking, which ever one of you was in town at the time. Not to mention your mom only carries liability on the car and if those people are driving it around and it gets in a wreck it is on us. The owner was very clear about that. That he was NOT responsible for any damage that might occur on his lot. Just food for thought. Chris
Post a Comment