Richard got me back on with a new never-to-be-forgotten password. (seriously). Update - Rich took Mom to cardio doctor today. Ran EKG. Everything looks good. We need to talk about Mom's current finances when everyone gets a chance. She's wanting to get some of her car $'s to pay on her Discover card bill. (!!!?)
6 comments:
Hmmmm...I think, for my part, that I would rather not see that happen. If we justified using that $$ for another purpose, I'm afraid it would start happening more and more. But in the end it is Mom's money and we don't really have the right to keep it from her. I, for one, would rather wait until the initial Veteran's check comes in to pay off debts. Just my 2¢.
I agree. We need to get her in Horizon Bay first and see if we can afford to pay this debt off. She always used her Discover card to buy groceries and incidentals. I don't know why it accumulated so much. She's several hundred in debt. She used to pay all of it when the bill came in. It is bugging her, but, like you, I think we need to get her in at HB and wait for the Veteran's Affairs to kick in before we start using this money for other things.
I also think it would be a bad idea to start using that money. However, as Dave said, it is hers, and I don't want it to become an issue.
On the other side of that, Judy and I talked about getting Mom a debit card to use, as opposed to using the Discover card. At least she won't be able to spend money she doesn't have. An interesting note here is that she told me she has around $2,000 dollars in her checking account, but didn't want to use it to pay off the Discover card!?! Judy doesn't think she does, and that leads to another point or issue. We really need to monitor Mom's money. After she gets into HB, it will take most of her income to pay her expenses, rental income included.
I agree with you Rich we need to start monitoring her finances more closely but without upsetting her. Judy and I both are authorized on her Capital One account and I'm going to set it up where I can have online access to monitor it. I hate to do this behind Mom's back but I don't want her to think that we don't trust her. Should we tell her that I'm doing it or keep it hush-hush?
Just do it for now. That way when she does ask you for money you can know what the real story is. I think we should be able to make her understand that the car money is essential to her being able to live at HB.
I agree with both of you. I think we need to monitor, but don't let her know - she will blow up! FYI, by the way, she gave me her Walmart gas card to use for a while. She said that's how she can repay me for gas to take her places. I have charged some gas to it, but told her when the bill comes in to let me know and I will pay all of it. When she gets in HB, though we probably need to close out her account.
Post a Comment